Wednesday, August 24, 2005

and now for something completely different....

HAT KHRAI, Thailand -- The monster fish announced itself with four resounding whacks of its tail, thrashing against the net that had trapped it in the pale brown water of the Mekong River.

It was a fish called the giant catfish and it was the size of a grizzly bear, taking 5 boatmen an hour to pull it in and 10 men to lift it when they reached the shore in this remote village in northern Thailand.

It was only after their catch had been chopped into pieces and sold that they learned how special it was. At 2.7 meters, or 9 feet, long and weighing 293 kilograms, or 646 pounds, it may be the biggest freshwater fish ever recorded.

Read the whole thing here. Chalk this up to my fascination with mysterious things, and my love of fishing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think this is more wierd than mysterious. But that's just me! I'd like to see a picture of that!