Title: Budget Priorities
Topic: Mission Strategy
Committee: Program, Budget and Finance
House of Initial Action: Deputies
Proposer: Ms. Pan Adams (Arkansas)
Resolved, That the 75th General Convention endorse the following statement of mission priorities in rank order for the for the 2007–09 triennium and direct the Joint Standing Committee on Program, Budget & Finance to use these priorities in forming the Budget for the Episcopal Church.
We offer these mission priorities as an expression of our commitment to Jesus Christ.
We are committed to the importance of our ministry of reconciliation and communion at every level of our communion.
We embrace diversity and seek to promote inclusion and power sharing which underlie and inform all priorities, decisions, and all that we do. In faithfulness to these commitments, we continue to honor our covenants and partnerships with domestic and overseas dioceses. We recognize that the work of mission depends in large part on increasing the leadership capacity of clergy and lay leaders of the church. We affirm the spirit of the budget adopted by the 74th General Convention and identify for the mission of the Church during 2007–2009 the following priorities, listed in rank order of importance:
1. JUSTICE AND PEACE: Promoting justice and peace for all of God’s creation and continuing and accelerating the leadership role and programs of the Episcopal Church, which support the eight (8) Millennium Development Goals* in the dioceses of the Episcopal Church and in the world.
2. YOUNG ADULTS, YOUTH AND CHILDREN: Reaching out to young adults, youth and children through intentional inclusion and full incorporation in the thinking, work, worship and structure of the Church.
3. RECONCILIATION AND EVANGELISM: Reconciling and engaging those who do not know Christ by participating in God’s mission of reconciling all things to Christ and proclaiming the Gospel to those who are not yet members of the church.
4. CONGREGATIONAL TRANSFORMATION: Revitalizing and transforming congregations through commitment to leadership development, spiritual growth, lifelong learning, dynamic and inclusive worship, greater diversity, and mission.
5. PARTNERSHIPS: Reaffirming the importance of our partnerships with provinces of the Anglican Communion and beyond and our relationships with ecumenical and interfaith partners.
* The Millennium Development Goals
Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
Achieve universal primary education
Promote gender equality and empower women
Reduce child Mortality
Improve maternal health
Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria, and other diseases
Ensure environmental sustainability
Develop a global partnership for development