Monday, July 03, 2006

battlestar galactica











Largely because Fr. Roderick seems to like it (I've been listening to his podcast), I have been watching the new Battlestar Galactica, season 1, in my spare moments. Its available on iTunes. It seemed promising at first, but its turned insipid. And yet I am kind of engrossed. They borrow a lot of naval aviation conceits from Top Gun: e.g. a scene in the ready room with an insubordinate pilot playing with his pen, a scene in the control room during a dog fight where the spaceship version of an aircraft carrier's catapult gets jammed and they announce that it will take 45 seconds to fix, and the commander announces that the fight will be over in 45 seconds, etc.

Has anyone else watched this show? Maybe its getting tedious. Maybe its time to join Netflix again.

On a side note, I just looked up the word "conceit" in my computer's dictionary to make sure I spelled it correctly (I did; but I thought there might be a "p" in it somewhere), and they have this sentence to illustrate its usage:

He is alarmed by the widespread conceit that he spent most of the 1980s drunk.

I'm sure he is alarmed, whomever he is.

1 comment:

Jody said...

Fr. WB,

I've been hooked on BSG for a while. It has generated quite a controversy among some hard-core sci fi fans who disliked its recasting/reimagining of the original series. Personally, I tend to like the new series better, and I think it's pretty interesting. On the whole I think the acting is quite good, especially given the fact that this is a show airing on the Sci Fi channel and not a major netowrk (this is not to say that networks have had any good acting for years, just an observation that they tend to harvest any promising shows from their daughter stations... then then kill them :-p )

If I had to pick what attracted me to the show, I'd have to say I'm primarily intrigued by the ethical elements such as why does humanity deserve to continue existing, and where exactly is the line between man and machine (especially when it appears machines have "evolved" a leadership class for themselves that appear to be human clones augmented by technology). Additionally, as the show progresses, it makes one ask the question of why a particular action is wrong--is something wrong because one does it to a particular person/thing, or is it simply wrong because it is the sort of action you shouldn't take because of who you are as a person.

Certainly their is an oddity factor to the show that comes from the Mormon inspired cosmology of the original BSG, and the fact that the machines seem to be the only monotheists, but to me they seem to mix just the right amount of sci-fi corny-ness in, at least so far.

I'll be interested to see what you think at the end of season 1 and 2.