Monday, July 03, 2006

battlestar galactica











Largely because Fr. Roderick seems to like it (I've been listening to his podcast), I have been watching the new Battlestar Galactica, season 1, in my spare moments. Its available on iTunes. It seemed promising at first, but its turned insipid. And yet I am kind of engrossed. They borrow a lot of naval aviation conceits from Top Gun: e.g. a scene in the ready room with an insubordinate pilot playing with his pen, a scene in the control room during a dog fight where the spaceship version of an aircraft carrier's catapult gets jammed and they announce that it will take 45 seconds to fix, and the commander announces that the fight will be over in 45 seconds, etc.

Has anyone else watched this show? Maybe its getting tedious. Maybe its time to join Netflix again.

On a side note, I just looked up the word "conceit" in my computer's dictionary to make sure I spelled it correctly (I did; but I thought there might be a "p" in it somewhere), and they have this sentence to illustrate its usage:

He is alarmed by the widespread conceit that he spent most of the 1980s drunk.

I'm sure he is alarmed, whomever he is.

No comments: