Monday, March 07, 2005

reconciliation

It seems to me that the word "reconciliation" is one of those words that has gotten so thrown around and fetishized that it has been emptied of most of its conceptual content. Really, what does it mean anymore? I now associate it with very vague notions of generic theological liberalism. "The Church is about bringing Christ's reconciling love to the world" and such things. What? How?

Here is a letter from Bishop Griswald: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_58742_ENG_HTM.htm .

In it he says "I am grateful that bonds of understanding and affection bind us together and call us to an ever deeper and more costly living out of the reconciliation brought about by Jesus through the Cross." What does it mean????

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It doesn't mean anything, of course. That is why he said it, and will continue to say such nonsensical things. I also think the R word has been over-used, and it is a darn shame. I think Griswold's letters and things in Epsicopal Life are dreadful.

Adam

Anonymous said...

I have received this sacrament many times. I think Adam is right, in an Episcopal theology, I don't think it means anything. Will, if you are interested in finding out more about the true Church and its sacraments, please read my books.

John Henry Cardinal Newman

Anonymous said...

Cardinal Newman, you sneaky old dog, you! I have received this sacrament, and it is far more meaningful than any reconcilliation talked about by higher-ups in the ECUSA.

Adam

Amber said...

I believe that it does mean something very specific, namely, "friendship." Don't you all know that Christ died for us so we could be friends? I don't agree with this, however, and wish that more people would understand it the way that I do- the idea that I can become an alchoholic good for nothing wasting my life in some foreign port and yet know that the church will accept my true repentance.

Sebastian Flyte

Anonymous said...

Reconciliation: that which is good for the prostrate.

Anonymous said...

Reconciliation: that which is good for the prostrate.

Anonymous said...

Reconciliation: that which is good for the prostrate.