Saturday, March 05, 2005

evangelicalism is therapeutic

Greetings from the Mohonk Mountain House (www.mohonk.com) in the mountains of New York state. I am on a retreat run by the New Canaan Society (newcanaansociety.com), an evangelical men's group headquartered in, that's right, New Canaan, Connecticut.

I have been introduced to something called "freestyle" praise and worship. It can be moving, though in general I think it ought to be tempered by traditional devotion, i.e. to the Blessed Virgin, and to our Lord's sacramental Presence.

So far, I've heard talks on the transforming power of mercy, and something about "windows on the soul," both of which were pretty good. Sherry after High Mass is not to be scoffed at; but good old evangelicalism can remind one of what a blessing it can be actually to let oneself go a bit and get into some of the culturally lower forms of music.

5 comments:

Ecgbert said...

Reminds me of why I like gospel music (not in church of course), which I blogged about this week. Thanks again for the link - you're in my links now as well.

Amber said...

Will you silly dolt, don't you ever read Archbishop Ramsey? Catholicism and evangelicalism are the same thing.

Anonymous said...

Johnny,

Don't forget about real presence.

Heath

Anonymous said...

Johnny,

Don't forget about real presence.

Heath

Anonymous said...

WB:

Are you having spiritual constipation? We need more postings...feed your sheep!