Monday, February 28, 2005

a penitential prayer of the blessed lancelot andrewes


"I will confess my sins,
and the sins of my fathers,
for I have transgressed and trespassed against
Thee, O Lord,
and walked contrary unto Thee.
Set not, O Lord, set not my misdeeds
before Thee,
nor my life in the light of Thy countenance,
but pardon the iniquity of Thy servant,
according to Thy great mercy;
as Thou hast been merciful to him from a child,
and even until now.

I have sinned, what shall I do unto Thee,
O Thou Preserver of men?
Why hast Thou set me as a mark against Thee,
so that I am a burden to myself?
Oh, pardon my transgression,
and take away mine iniquity.
Deliver me from going down to the pit,
for Thou hast found a ransom.

Have mercy on me, Son of David;
Lord, help me.
Yea, Lord, even the dogs eat of the crumbs
which fall from their master's table.
Have patience with me, Lord,
yet I have not wherewith to pay,
I confess to Thee;
forgive me the whole debt, I beseech Thee.

How long wilt Thou forget me, O Lord?
for ever?
How long wilt Thou hide Thy face from me?
How long shall I seek counsel in my soul,
and be so vexed in my heart day and night?
How long shall mine enemies triumph over me?
Consider and hear me, O Lord my God;
lighten mine eyes that I sleep not in death,
lest mine enemy say I have prevailed against him,
for if I be cast down, they that trouble me
will rejoice at it.
But my trust is in Thy mercy." Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you. Great blog, as usual.

Adam