Thursday, February 17, 2005

devotion to the holy wounds


I have been writing a sermon for the Easter Vigil. The text is Matthew 28.1-10. In that passage, the angel addresses St. Mary Magdalene and "the other" Mary, saying "I know that you seek Jesus, who was crucified." Well, that caused a minor flash of revelation in my mind: that beginning that first Easter morning and forever thereafter, our Lord is "Jesus who was crucified." It is an intrinsic property, and the Crucifixion is not undone in the Resurrection, for our Lord still carries the marks of the nails and of the spear in his flesh.

This set me thinking on devotions to the five Holy Wounds. Such devotion is wholesome and profitable and especially appropriate during Lent. Our Lord was willing to be pierced for me. And the holy wounds that he suffered for me, he carries in his flesh even now. And of course this means that when we are appropriated by his divine life, we are appropriated by the life of Jesus, who was crucified. This may be trivial and obvious to some, but it was a new way of thinking of things for me.

Perhaps I will post my sermon at the Easter Vigil. Here is a link to a chaplet in honor of the five Holy Wounds of our blessed Lord. If you acquire a chaplet and you know a Passionist, maybe you can get it blessed.

No comments: