Saturday, June 11, 2005
the luminous mysteries
In addition to the traditional sets of mysteries (Joyful, Sorrowful, Glorious), there is now a set of mysteries called the Luminous Mysteries. They were promulgated by Pope John Paul II (RIP) in his Apostolic Letter Rosarium Virginis Mariae.
The first Luminous Mystery is our Lord's Baptism at the hands of John in the Jordan. Here are some helpful scriptural bits to say before each Ave:
1. John is baptizing in the Jordan proclaiming a baptism of repentance.
2. "I am the voice of one crying in the desert, make straight the way of the Lord."
3. "One mightier than I is coming after me."
4. "I have baptized you with water, He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit."
5. Seeing Jesus, John exclaims: "Behold the Lamb of God."
6. After Jesus' baptism a voice from Heaven: "This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased."
7. The Spirit descends upon Jesus in the form of a dove.
8. In this heavenly manifestation is instituted the sacrament of baptism.
9. The divine Trinity is manifested: the voice of the Father is heard as the Spirit descends upon the Son.
10. Filled with the Holy Spirit, Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert for 40 days.
Posted by gwb at 1:35 AM