Wednesday, December 21, 2005

the visitation


One thing about today is that it is the feast of St. Thomas the Apostle (whom: pray for us!). Another thing is that in the hecticity, to invent a word, of the post-semester, I forgot that. And so when reading the office, I read the regular readings. I'm sorry to have missed St. Thomas, but I am happy to have read the Gospel reading from Luke 1. Here are some edifying and choice bits:

and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:

And she spake out with a loud voice, and said, Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb.

And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?

And blessed is she that believed: for there shall be a performance of those things which were told her from the Lord.

And then our Lady spake the Magnificat.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear WB,

Dost thou thinkest Elisabeth spake in ye ol'english? Perhaps the Holy Spirit still does. That might be why charismatics so oft get it wrong; they don't speak in yonder Shakespeare’s tongue.

BFC

Anonymous said...

I am fairly certain they all spoke Latin:

Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominus tecum. Benedicta in mulieribus et benedictus fructus ventris tui Jesus.

King James English is a fair approximation though.

ACR

Anonymous said...

Mea culpa! I forgot a "tua"! Blessed art THOU amongst women - "Benedicta tua in mulieribus."

Sancta Maria, mater dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus...

ACR

gwb said...

I think it is "tu" rather than "tua". Nominative pronoun, not adjective. I.e. "thou art blessed" in mulieribus.

Anonymous said...

Hi Will!

I found your blog and just wanted to say Hi and Merry Christmas!

I linked to you on my blog, hope that's ok.

Lord bless,

Chris