Monday, June 11, 2007

the general trouble with much protestantism in a nutshell

From O Ye Jigs and Juleps, by Episcopalian Virginia Cary Hudson; written in 1904 when she was 10 yrs. old.

Holton Street is where I have my worse [sic] trouble. That is another part of town. That is where the Campbellites live. They asked me to their old church party and my mother made me go. And I wore my hat and it was summer, and Alice Coleman laughed because I had on my hat. I said to her, I said, "You shouldn't go in church without your hat." And she said, "You should too." and I said, "You shouldn't," and she said, "You should," and I said "You shouldn't," and she said, "Who said so?" and I said , "St. Paul said so," and she said, "He didn't" and I said, "He did," and she said, "He didn't" and I said, "He did," and she said, "Fooie on St. Paul," and that is when I slapped her. Once for St. Paul, and I slapped her for the whole state of Christ's Church universal and then I pinched her for myself. That slapping was righteous indignation, but that pinch was my own and the devil's idea.


If we get to the point where we choose our own theologies above what the scripture actually says, we're saying "Fooie on St. Paul." May we then be slapped.

No comments: