Monday, April 09, 2007

the archbishop of canterbury's easter sermon

Also very good. Read it all here. As you know, I have a special affection for the Solomon Islands, and the faithful Anglicans (and other Chrstians) there.

It was two and a half years ago; we had just finished a substantial open-air meal after a Eucharist on the football field in the tiny island of Malaita in the Solomons. The Premier of Malaita had been talking about the bloody civil war that had divided the islands until just a year earlier; and then he said, ‘I want you to bless us; I need to say in public that we were responsible as well as the people on the other islands. So I’m going to ask the crowd to be quiet, and then I’ll kneel down and ask you to pronounce God’s forgiveness for whatever we contributed to the horrors of these last years.’

No comments: