Wednesday, January 26, 2005

anglican terce


The Third Hour

O God, to help me make good speed.
Lord, make haste to succour me.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost.
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be. &c. Amen.

The Hymn
Mighty ruler, God most true,
Which doth all in order due;
Morn with light illumining.
Noontide with heat garnishing

Quench the flames of our debate,
Foul and noisome heat abate.
Grant unto our body health,
To our hearts true peace and wealth.

Let tongue and heart, strength and sense,
Commend thy manificence:
Let the Spirit of charity
Stir us all to worship thee. Amen.

Ad Dominum cum tribularer. Psal. .cxx.
A prayer to be delivered from the vanity of this world.
I cried unto the Lord when I was in trouble, and he hath heard me.
O Lord, deliver my soul from lying lips, and a deceitful tongue.
What may be given thee, or what may be put to thee, against a deceitful tongue?
It is like the sharp arrows of the mighty man, and hot burning coals.
Woe is me, that my resting place is prolonged.
I have dwelled with the inhabitants of Cedar, my soul hath been long in exile.
I was at peace with them that hated peace; when I spake unto them, they assaulted me without cause.
Glory be the the Father. &.
As it was in the. &c. Amen.

The Anthem
Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are they which suffer hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
The Versicle. Lord hear my prayer.
The Answer. And let my cry come to thee.

Let us pray.
Lord Jesus Christ, whose whole life was nothing but humility and meekness, who only art our very righteousness, grant us to serve and honour thee with humble and meek heart, and in all our life and conversation to desire to be occupied in the works of righteousness: which livest and reignest. &c. Amen

(From Private Prayers Put Forth by Authority During the Reign of Queen Elizabeth)

No comments: